Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Thank You

Okay. What's up? I was thinking just today that I'm not quite sure what direction this whole exploratory journey into "having a blog" is taking. Mixing it up is always easy, because different moods create the ways of putting thoughts on the page. After all, writing too much in just one style can create a stale feeling at the drafters desk, it can silence a potential voice as equally as alter your desire altogether. This hasn't been a problem for me in personal journals because the words gets stowed away and as time goes on they become mere space fillers in my life, something I keep but rarely revisit. However, with a blog, every word is constructed with the ever mindfulness of a prying readership, an anonymous group of passer-bys and friends who want to learn something about me indirectly and will only return if what they extracted meant something to them. At least, that's the way I perceive it in my mind. So I try to write some heavy shit, and then maybe some weird shit, finally I try my hand at some funny shit. It's like this vague drunken typing session, passing the laptop around after 9 or 10 beers and a bong hit or two (only I'm the only one banging away at the keys). You're not sure what's sticking, what's making the grade. You're wondering if it's harder to write something, even informally, if you know other people will view it and stand on their heads with worry that you are turning into a raving madman. Thankfully, however, that is not the case.

And that's what I want to discuss for a moment. I want to thank you guys who have left encouraging comments as well people who have said kind words to me in person. I just wanted you to know I appreciate it and it helps. By taking the time to read any of these posts, let alone being compelled to reinforce that interest with kind words, is probably the warmest thing imaginable as far as I'm concerned. Because putting yourself out there is difficult, sometimes humbling and always worrisome. The fear of snap judgements, slighted friends and the always imminent prospects that whatever you spill onto the computer screen is veritable gibberish. An exercise in wryly sculpted garbage. A narcissistic smattering or boring words. Thanks to you (those who shall remain nameless), these are no longer concerns and I feel emboldened to continue on what has become a surprisingly therapeutic experience. As far as the direction these pages continue to take, I'm going to forge on with roughly the same approach. Swinging wildly at the night air at times, yet occasionally poignant and purposeful. Just like a Mike Tyson soundbite.

I thank you.

Take care.

No comments: